Who is eligible and how to apply.

The council tax charge is based upon the number of people living in a property.  If you're "disregarded" it means that we don't count you when we work out the number of people living there.  

If you live with someone who isn't counted, it may mean that you can get a discount on your bill.

Who isn't counted

These people aren't counted for council tax:

  • full time students, school and college leavers aged 18 and 19 - see student exemptions and discounts
  • student nurses and youth training trainees
  • apprentices (depends on your weekly income)
  • non-British people who aren't allowed to work or claim benefits and are dependants of students
  • people detained in a prison or hospital
  • people who have a severe mental impairment
  • living with and providing care for someone
  • residents of other properties (hostels for the homeless, residential or care homes)
  • members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • members and dependants of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependents
  • members and dependants of visiting forces
  • diplomats
  • foreign language assistants
  • people who have their main address in a hospital

Apply for a discount

Apply for a disregard discount using the council tax general enquiry form

You must tell us if you no longer qualify for a discount using the council tax general enquiry form.