Find out if you can pay less council tax if you're a full-time student in Bristol.
Who could get a discount or exemption
You can get a discount or be exempt if:
- everyone in the property is a full-time student you may not have to pay any council tax
- only some people are full-time students you'll have to pay but might get a discount
If you live in a student hall provided by your university or college then you don't need to apply.
You can find out if you can pay less council tax from your local council.
Apply for a student discount or exemption
Before you start
You'll need the:
- address and postcode of the property in Bristol
- names of all adults over 18 living at the property
- date each person moved in
- student number or certificate for each student
- date of birth for students under 20 years old
After you've applied
After you complete the online student discount form you may be asked to upload student certificates.
You can upload any student certificates using our Council Tax enquiry form.
What is a full-time student
If you're over 20 years old, then your course(s) must:
- last at least 24 weeks
- involve at least 21 hours study a week
- be at a recognised educational establishment
If you're under 20, then your course(s) must:
- last at least 3 months
- involve at least 12 hours study per week