Why you need home contents insurance and how to apply for it

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there's always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

We do not cover the value of your belongings as part of the tenancy agreement. It's a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for so that you can make an informed decision on whether you need one.

We feel it's important to protect your belongings and suggest that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). There are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

Contents insurance designed for social and affordable housing

Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance.

The Thistle Crystal Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

The Crystal Insurance Scheme will be one option available for you to obtain home insurance quotes. We continue to recommend you get quotes from other providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and you can get these on comparison websites including Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

Reasons to choose Crystal Insurance Scheme:

  • apply over the telephone or complete an application form
  • no excess (you don't pay the first part of the claim)  
  • covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • covers improvements made by the tenant (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)
  • covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000)
  • covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible 
  • covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen 
  • you don't need to have special door or window locks (just a lockable front door)
  • flexible regular Pay-As-You-Go payment options (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge).

Who can apply

As a tenant or leaseholder of Bristol City Council you'll be eligible to apply.

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you, please contact Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7286 who will be happy to help with your queries.

How to apply

To apply for home contents insurance:

How much it costs

These documents give you important information on your rights and how Thistle deal with you and your insurance, and key information regarding the insurance cover:

Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.