Education, health and care (EHC) plans
Education, health and care plans (EHCPs)
Templates to use when contributing to an EHC needs assessment and an EHC plan annual review.
What an Education, health and care plan is
An education, health and care plan is for children and young people from birth to the age of 25 if they're in education or training who need more support than is available through special educational needs support. It:
- is a legal document
- describes a child or young person's special educational, health and social care needs
We carry out an EHC needs assessment and this may result in an EHC plan.
The whole process from initial referral to getting a decision about whether a child or young person will get an EHC plan should take no longer than 20 weeks.
What an EHC needs assessment is
The EHC needs assessment:
- gathers information about the child or young person
- describes the child’s or young person’s needs
- can result in additional support and funding for the child or young person
How long an EHC needs assessment takes
Once we get a request for an EHC needs assessment, we have six weeks to make a decision about whether to carry out an assessment.
Reviewing EHC plans
We must review EHC plans within 12 months of the date we issue them. The person organising the review must seek advice and information about the child or young person before the annual review meeting from:
- the child’s parent or carer or the young person themselves
- a representative from the educational setting the child or young person goes to
- the child or young person’s health service representative
- the child or young person’s social care representative
- any other people relevant to the review
Complete a setting contribution to an Education, Health and Care (EHC) annual review form (word doc, 54KB) (opens new window) . Send it by secure email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Read our secure email guidance (pdf, 448KB) (opens new window) .
Key stage transfers for children with an EHC plan
Parents and carers must fill in a key stage transfer form when a child with an EHC plan moves to a different school or education setting at the end of:
- year 2
- year 6
- year 11
You can direct parents and carers to the key stage transfer form on the Education, health and care plans page.
The deadline to submit the form is 31 October 2021.