Make changes to a premises licence.

You can apply to vary your premises licence to:

  • extend the hours for existing licensable activities
  • apply for extra licensable activities
  • remove conditions on an existing licence

If the variation is minor you should apply for a minor variation. A minor variation is a simplified process for:

  • small changes to premises layouts or structures
  • to reduce licensing hours
  • removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions
  • add conditions
  • add licensable activities that will not affect the licencing objectives of crime and disorder, public safety, prevention of public nuisance and the protection of children from harm.

Before you apply

Read pdf how to apply for a variation to a premises licence (266 KB) .

You must also check:

  • if you need any other permissions, such as permission from the landowner to use the site
  • any restrictions, such as restrictions on planning permission or restrictions on your lease

The licence you get will not override these permissions and you must make sure you are complying with all restrictions.

Apply online

Apply to vary a premises licence
on the GOV.UK website

Other ways to apply

Fill in and return pdf application to vary premises licence (PREM 6) (517 KB)  or document application to vary premises licence (314 KB) .

If you want someone else to discuss your application or licence with us on your behalf, youll need to give us written permission.

How to pay


The amount you pay is based on the rateable value of the premises. Premises that don't have a rateable value are in Band A for licence variation purposes. The rateable value is set by the valuation office.

Check the rateable value of the premises Go to (opens new window) on GOV.UK

There is a multiplier applied to premises in Bands D ( x 2 basic fee) and E ( x 3 basic fee) where they are exclusively or primarily in the business of supplying alcohol. 

Non-domestic rateable value band Application fee Multiplier
A £0 - £4,300 £100 0
B £4,301 - £33,000 £190 0
C £33,001 - £87,000 £315 0
D £87,001 - £125,000 £450 £900
E £125,001 and over £635 £1905


If you apply online you pay directly with a debit or credit card.

If you apply by post you pay by cheque or postal order made payable to Bristol City Council

Let people know about the application

You must:

  • display a notice of the application at the premises for 28 days starting from the day after the application was submitted 
  • publish a notice of the application in a locally circulated newspaper within 10 working days starting from the day after the application was submitted.

The site notice must be:

  • on pale blue paper
  • A4 size or larger
  • large font font size 16 or larger

There is a sample site notice for variation in our pdf guidance notes (266 KB) .

If you apply by post youll also need to give notice of your application and copies of documentation on the same day that you make the application to the responsible authorities.

What happens next

There's a 28 day representation period from the date you apply.  After this has ended if there havent been any representations from responsible authorities or relevant persons, then well grant the licence. Well issue the licence shortly after.

If there's representation from a responsible authority or relevant persons then the licensing committee Go to (opens new window) will need to look at your application.  

Well arrange a hearing with the licensing committee within 20 working days from the representation period end date. If a hearing is held a licence will be granted, granted with some extra conditions or refused.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies to premises licences variation this means that you can assume your application has been granted after the 28 day consultation period has ended unless youve heard from us that there have been representations from responsible authorities or interested parties.