Housing: complaints and feedback

Housing: complaints and feedback

Make a complaint or give feedback about council housing, housing benefits or private housing

Before you make a complaint, you could try one of the following services:

If you'd still like to make a complaint or give feedback complete our online form.

Make a complaint All complaints are confidential
Give feedback We read your comments carefully, but don’t usually reply

Other ways to make a complaint

Other ways to make a complaint or give us feedback


Visit our Citizen Service Point.

Write to

Customer Relations (100 TS)
PO Box 3399

Alternative formats

For assistance with making a complaint or giving feedback in another language, braille, larger print or on audio tape, email or use the above methods to get in touch.

We can also arrange language interpreters and sign-language interpreters.