Empty properties: council tax

Properties undergoing major works

Council tax charges on properties that are undergoing major works.

If your property can't be lived in because of major works or structural alterations, you might be able to get a council tax discount for a maximum of 12 months. We call these properties 'uninhabitable'.

What we consider uninhabitable

Reasons that properties could be uninhabitable are:

  • roof work that's needed on safety grounds
  • removal of supporting walls or floor joists
  • subsidence
  • severe dry rot requiring extensive treatments or remedies

What we don't consider uninhabitable

Works which will not be able to get a discount:

  • replacement kitchen or bathroom
  • replacement windows
  • general refurbishment
  • re-wiring, re-plumbing, plastering

Apply for a discount on a property getting major repairs and structural alterations (pdf, 67k) (opens new window)

If the work has already been done, you need to give us evidence like:

  • the schedule of works
  • builder's invoices for the work carried out
  • surveyor's reports

If you no longer qualify for a discount, you need to let us know.