What's an abandoned or nuisance vehicle, when and how to report one.
What we can't help with
We can't help with:
- a vehicle that's been declared as off the road Go to https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax (opens new window)(SORN) and left on a public road, contact the DVLA Go to https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla (opens new window)
- a vehicle on fire, being vandalised or having parts removed, call 999
- a vehicle at risk of being set on fire, vandalised or blocking a public footpath or highway, call 101
What's an abandoned vehicle
An abandoned vehicle:
- has no registered owner
- is causing a hazard or safety issue
- is burnt out
- is taxed but badly damaged, so likely to be abandoned, such as a vehicle with flat tyres, missing wheels or broken windows
- has been untaxed for at least a month and in the same position on a public road for at least two months
Check if the vehicle is taxed on GOV.UK Go to https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ (opens new window)
Report an abandoned vehicle
If the abandoned vehicle is on your property, you must:
- try to find the owner Go to https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla (opens new window) through the DVLA and contact them
- contact the police Go to https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/contact-us (opens new window) to see if theyre interested in the vehicle, for example if its stolen
You can report the vehicle once youve done this.
Youll need to tell us the vehicles type, if it looks like it could be driven and the:
You can upload photos.
Before we can remove an abandoned vehicle we:
- must try to contact the owner
- will leave a notice on the vehicle for 15 days, warning it'll be removed if no one claims it
Abandoned vehicle in a park or open space
Use the report a problem in a park form.
A vehicle parked on a double yellow lines or double parked
Call 0117 903 8070 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Vehicles being sold or repaired
Tell us if someone is causing a nuisance by:
- regularly repairing vehicles on a road or pavement
- selling two or more cars, within 500 metres of each other
Contact our bins, recycling and street maintenance team.