Tell us about people living in vehicles on the road

Tell us about people living in vehicles on the road

How to let us know about people living in vehicles on the road.

How to report someone living in a vehicle

If you have concerns about the:

  • impact on your community
  • health or wellbeing  of the people living in vehicles

You should check the map for encampments on the highway.

If the vehicle or vehicles aren't on the map then you can report them using our online form.

Report someone living in a vehicle

You can also use this online form to report an issue with someone sleeping in a vehicle that’s already on the map.

If you’d like to give us more information to support your report, then you can:

  • keep a diary for 14 days to record any issues you witness
  • take any videos or photos to provide any supporting evidence 

Let us know on the online report form that you are doing this. A member of the Neighbourhood Enforcement Team will then contact you.

This will be helpful if we have to take any legal action. 

What happens after you send a report

When we have your report we'll visit the vehicle or site within 5 workings days to:

  • assess its impact on the area
  • speak to the people living there to:
    • tell them about standards that apply to living in a vehicle 
    • lower any impact their encampment may be having 
    • let them know about available housing support  

We will only move them on if they are: 

  • breaking the law
  • causing an obstruction
  • parked at a dangerous location on the road such as a junction
  • living in such close proximity to residential properties , schools or public area such a children’s’ play area that this is  causing a problem.
  • having a high impact on the community such as anti-social behaviour or not  disposing of their waste properly

The assessment of high and low impact is carried out by enforcement officers.

This is with reference to the criteria set out in the vehicle dwelling on the highway policy.

Vehicle dwelling policy and unauthorised encampments

Visit our report an unauthorised encampment page to:

  • report any people living in vehicles on private land 
  • read our vehicle dwellings policy