Join the library
When you join the library, you can use any of the 27 libraries in Bristol.
You can also use your membership card in any LibrariesWest libraries in Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, Dorset, North Somerset, Poole, Somerset and South Gloucestershire to borrow, return and reserve items, and to use the library computers.
on the LibrariesWest website
You need to be 16 or over to join online.
You’ll get a temporary membership number and PIN. You can reserve items straight away.
You’ll need to pick up your card from a library to use any other library services.
Collect your library card
You can collect the card when you next visit one of our libraries.
Proof of address
You’ll need proof of address to pick up your card from the library.
- driving licence
- gas, telephone, or electricity bill, within last 3 months
- bank statement or credit card statement, within last 3 months
- addressed envelope received at home, within last 3 months
- recent wage slip showing address
- tenancy agreement
If you’re joining as a visitor, you can also use one of these items as proof of address:
- bank card
- photo ID
- library card from any library
We don’t accept:
- NUS cards
- bus, rail, or coach passes
- business cards or workplace ID
If you have no fixed address, you don’t need any proof of address.
Lost membership card
You can replace a lost membership card in any library, free of charge.
Library terms and conditions
By joining Bristol Libraries, you’re agreeing to the following: