Planning advice and guidance
We use the government's Planning Portal website to provide services and guidelines about the planning system. Local circumstances may override their guidelines, so you may need to check with us.
- Planning system information on the Planning Portal a wide range of services and guidance about the planning system.
- Is permission needed (Planning Portal)? information on whether planning permission is needed for your project.
- Submit a planning application online (Planning Portal)
- Appeals guidance (Planning Portal) how to make an appeal, search for and comment on appeals.
- Marketing guidelines for a change of use planning application (pdf, 36 KB) (opens new window) .
- The Bristol Planning Protocol (pdf, 3.4 MB) (opens new window) information about working together on major planning applications.
Legislation and planning research
- Policy and research on Planning Portal access to legislation and planning research documents.
- Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) for information on the CIL Charging Schedule
- Government's Housing Standards Review: Operation of Bristol Local Plan policies (June 2015) (pdf, 0.7 MB) (opens new window)
- Affordable Housing Practice Note (April 2014) (pdf, 415 KB) (opens new window)
- Flood Risk Sequential Test Practice Note (August 2013) (pdf, 1.6 MB) (opens new window)
- Waste and recycling booklet (pdf, 319 KB) (opens new window) guidance for developers, owners and occupiers relating to waste and recycling storage facilities.
- Guidelines for Pre Application Involvement (pdf, 36 KB) (opens new window) guidance for developers relating to community involvement.
- Protocol for temporary advertising of development sites (pdf, 37 KB) (opens new window) guidance relating to the application requirements and assessment, of temporary advertisements on development sites.
- West of England Sustainable Drainage Developers Guides (under the SuDS section)
The following should be read in conjunction with the above note on the Government's Housing Standards Review: Operation of Bristol Local Plan policies (pdf, 0.7 MB) (opens new window) until the guidance can be updated:
- Space Standards practice note (pdf, 125 KB) (opens new window)
- Climate change and sustainability practice note (opens new window)
- Climate change and sustainability - frequently asked questions (opens new window)
- Planning agents - accreditation scheme a new scheme to help speed up the registration and processing of householder applications.