Home adaptations and equipment
The right adaptations or equipment can help you to carry on living independently at home.
How to help yourself
If you're looking for ideas to adapt your home yourself or buy your own equipment, you’ll find suppliers on Well Aware. Some people prefer to arrange and pay for adaptations themselves rather than wait for funding to be provided by us.
See examples of adaptations
To see displays about how you can make your home more accessible, visit Waterloo Home Design Centre.
How home adaptations and equipment can help
Our home adaptations and equipment can help you to:
- enter and leave your home
- wash, bathe and use the toilet
- use living and sleeping areas
- use food preparation and cooking areas
- access some of the garden
- reduce risks in your home related to your impairment
We can offer:
- advice and information
- referral for rehabilitation, including short term support after an operation
- equipment such as bath seats and bath lifts
- minor adaptations such as hand rails that we can install quickly to make your home safer and easier to use
- major adaptations such as wheelchair ramps, stairlifts and showers that we’ll only do if they’ll create a significant improvement in the quality of day to day living for you or your carer
Who can get help from us with home adaptations
We may be able to help any vulnerable adult in need of home adaptations, but we’ll see you as a priority if:
- you’re terminally ill
- your care arrangements have broken down
- your health has suddenly got worse
- there is risk of physical injury to you or your carer
- you can’t come home from hospital without alterations to your home
The cost of home adaptations and equipment
The cost will be different depending on the adaptation or equipment you need. We’ll explain the prices when we talk to you.
Help with costs
You may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant for adaptations that cost less than £30,000.
We work with an independent organisation called WE Care and Repair to offer low cost loans if the cost of your adaptation is more than £30,000. You can only apply for a loan if you have enough equity in your property and your home may be at risk if you don’t keep up repayments as agreed.
How to return equipment
To return equipment that you don’t need any more, contact Medequip on 0117 957 9140.
Elsewhere on the web
- Age UK, home and care Go to http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/adapting-your-home/ (opens new window)
- Care and support jargon buster Go to http://www.thinklocalactpersonal.org.uk/Browse/Informationandadvice/CareandSupportJargonBuster/#/ (opens new window)
- Care equipment, aids and adaptations on NHS Choices Go to http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/equipment-aids-adaptations.aspx (opens new window)
- EAC FirstStop Go to http://www.firststopcareadvice.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Foundations Go to http://www.foundations.uk.com/ (opens new window)
- Royal British Legion Go to http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-support/housing/ (opens new window)