How to get care on the day you arrive in your new area when you move home.

If you're getting care and support from one council in England and you move home to another area, you can carry on getting care from the day you arrive in your new area. This is called continuity of care.

What to do if you're moving to a different area

Contact the council for the area you're moving to and let them know you'll need care. You can ask someone else to do this for you. Your new council will contact your current council.

Your current council will send your new council:

  • your care and support plan
  • your carer's support plan if they're moving with you
  • any other information relating to you or your carer

Your new council will then talk to you before you move about the support you and your carer may need. They may visit you in your new home to see if your needs have changed after moving.

Moving to Bristol

If you're moving to Bristol, contact Care Direct.