How much the licence costs and how to apply.
To put up festive lights, such as Christmas lights, over a highway you'll need to apply for a section 178 licence.
Cost of a section 178 licence
These costs include the preparation and implementation of the licence and its legal and engineering aspects.
- New festive lighting proposals: £2,456 plus VAT
- Renewing a festive lighting scheme: £1,228 plus VAT
If you're renewing a festive lighting scheme:
The scheme must have been previously approved by us, and is subject this being fully checked and approved by our engineers
The cost may increase depending if the lighting scheme has changed since its original approval, and how much it's been changed by.
Apply for a section 178 licence
To apply you must:
- read and follow the regulations in our document festive lights procedure document (1.16 MB)
- complete and return any of the required appendix documents
Section 178 appendices
Complete and return with your application any of the required appendix documents.
- document Appendix A: Application form for festive illuminations on or above the highway (49 KB)
- document Appendix B: Blank licence agreement (192 KB)
- pdf Appendix C1: Example plan: highway to which the lights to be added (153 KB)
- pdf Appendix C2: Example plan: electrical drawings showing proposed cable layout (121 KB)
- pdf Appendix C3: Example plan: cable calculations (111 KB)
- pdf Appendix C4: Example plan: festoon lighting (722 KB)
- spreadsheet Appendix D: Table for festive lighting details (20 KB)
- spreadsheet Appendix E: Sample test certificate (29 KB)
- pdf Appendix F1: Example of written energy agreement with meter administrator (104 KB)
- pdf Appendix F2: Statement of Charges for Use of Western Power Distribution (388 KB)
- spreadsheet Appendix F3: Example readings spreadsheet (14 KB)
- pdf Appendix F3: Empty readings spreadsheet pdf version (74 KB)
- spreadsheet Appendix G: Bristol City Council meter administrator sheet (495 KB)