Bonfires, air pollution and smells
Report a bonfire or air pollution issue, including smoke, dust and smells and the rules for having bonfires.
If you’re bothered by a bonfire, air pollution or smell
Try and talk to the person responsible. They may not realise they’re causing a problem. If this doesn’t resolve the problem or you can’t talk to the person responsible, you can report it to us.
If you want to complain about a problem caused by a council tenant, call 0117 922 2200, option 4.
Other ways to contact us
Call 0117 922 2500, option 4.
Bonfires can cause nuisance to other people and animals:
- by making asthma, bronchitis or other respiratory conditions worse
- by affecting visibility for drivers on nearby roads
- because fire can spread to nearby fences or buildings
- because piles of garden waste are often used by animals for shelter
There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws against the nuisance they can cause. This can lead to legal action being taken against the person responsible for the fire.
Burning household waste
You can’t get rid of household waste in a way that will cause pollution or harm to people’s health. This includes burning it.
There are better ways of dealing with waste that don’t affect air quality:
- garden waste can be dealt with by composting, after a few months it will turn into an excellent fertiliser
- we can also collect garden waste, other waste and bulky items or you can take it to your local tip or recycling centre
Danger to traffic by smoke
You could be fined if you light a fire and allow the smoke to drift across a road, causing a danger to traffic.
Having a bonfire
If you would still like to have a bonfire:
- use dry material only
- avoid burning at weekends and bank holidays
- don’t burn tyres, cables, plastics, rubber, painted products or household waste
- don’t leave a fire unattended, even when it’s just smouldering
- warn neighbours that you are going to have a bonfire
PO Box 3176
Bristol, BS3 9FS
Our normal opening hours are:
- Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm
- Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm
Out of hours
Our out of hours service is on 0117 922 2050.
It’s available during these times:
- Sunday to Tuesday, 7.30pm to midnight
- Wednesdays and Thursdays, 7.30pm to 1.00am
- Fridays and Saturdays, 7.00pm to 3.30am
The service is provided by two officers. They cover the whole city during times of peak demand, this works out to be about 75% of the year. As we have to prioritise the calls we receive, there may be a delay in our response.
The service doesn’t operate on bank holidays.
Tel: 0117 922 2500, option 4