Find out how to apply for a new hackney carriage or private hire driver licence.
Who can apply
You can apply to become a taxi driver if:
- you're over 18 years old
- you've held a full DVLA driving licence for at least 12 months.
How to apply
Before you apply you should read the hackney carriage and private hire licence conditions and Fit and Proper Person Policy in the pdf Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy (1.16 MB) .
Download and fill in the application form.
You need to send the following with your completed application form:
- Medical Examination report
- three forms of identification (such as your passport, birth certificate, a utility bill or bank statement)
- photocard driving licence or, if you got your driving licence before 1998, the paper driving licence
- DVLA mandate
- DSA pass certificate
- Knowledge Test training certificate
- BTEC Introduction to the role of the professional taxi and private hire driver (L2) certificate
- evidence of your right to work in the UK
Email your application form and scans or photos of the supporting documents to email@example.com.
We'll contact you by telephone to make payment.
We'll need to see the original medical examination and DBS certificates. Take a photo of each page of the certificates, front and back, and send them by email. This may change depending on government advice.
We need at least 10 working days to process your application.
If you want someone else to discuss your application or licence with us on your behalf, you'll need to give us written permission.
How much it costs
The cost of a one year licence is £99.
You'll also need to pay a £21 application fee.
There are additional fees for the various checks and tests you need to complete.
How long it lasts
New drivers will be issued with a one year licence to begin with. You'll have the option to choose a longer licence after your first one has expired.
Criminal and driving convictions
If you've got a criminal conviction or DVLA points you should read the hackney carriage and private hire vehicles licensing of individuals guidelines relating to the relevance of criminal behaviour in the pdf Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy (1.16 MB) before you apply.
Your application might need to go to a committee before a decision can be made.
Checks and tests
Find out about: