Apply for a new driver licence
Find out how to apply for a new Hackney carriage or private hire driver licence
To apply to become a taxi driver contact us to arrange for an application pack to be sent to you.
Who can apply
You can apply to become a taxi driver if:
- you’re over 18 years old
- you’ve held a full DVLA driving licence for at least 12 months.
How to apply
Before you apply you should read:
- hackney carriage and private hire licence conditions (pdf, 305k) (opens new window) ,
- Fit and Proper Person Policy (pdf, 144k) (opens new window)
You need the following with your completed application form:
- medical certificate
- three forms of identification (such as your passport, birth certificate, a utility bill or bank statement)
- photocard driving licence or, if you got your driving licence before 1998, the paper driving licence
- Enhanced DBS application form
- DVLA mandate
- DSA pass certificate
- Knowledge Test training certificate
- BTEC Introduction to the role of the professional taxi and private hire driver (L2) certificate
- World Host training certificate
- evidence of your right to work in the UK
If you want someone else to discuss your application or licence with us on your behalf, you’ll need to give us written permission.
How much it costs
The cost of a one year licence is £54.
You’ll also need to pay a £19.50 application fee.
There are additional fees for the various checks and tests you need to complete.
How long it lasts
New drivers will be issued with a one-year licence to begin with. You’ll have the option to choose a longer licence after your first one has expired.
Criminal and driving convictions
If you’ve a criminal conviction or points you should read the convictions policy for hackney carriage and private hire drivers (pdf, 132k) (opens new window) before you apply. Your application might need to go to committee before a decision can be made.
Checks and tests
Find out about: