Licence and policy information
Information on the licences and policies you should be aware of a taxi driver
Changes to hackney carriage vehicle policy
The Public Safety and Protection Committee agreed on 28 February 2017 to impose a limit of 795 on the number of licences issued.
Once the limit of 795 is reached no further licences will be issued, even if you have already purchased a vehicle.
If you want to apply for a new hackney carriage vehicle licence you should contact the Licensing Team first to check if there are vehicle licences available.
Private hire and hackney carriage documents
- Private hire vehicle policy (pdf, 89k) (opens new window)
- Vehicle licence conditions (pdf, 305k) (opens new window)
- Policy statement about tuk tuks (pdf, 76k) (opens new window)
- Hackney carriage and private hire - inspection standards (pdf, 514k) (opens new window)
- Hackney carriage and private hire - nuisance on highway policy (pdf, 14k) (opens new window)
- Advertising on hackney carriage vehicles policy (pdf, 193k) (opens new window)
- Exemption from requirement to display vehicle identification on private hire vehicles policy (pdf, 167k) (opens new window)
How do I licence a new vehicle?
To apply for a vehicle licence go to:
The apply for a vehicle licence page has the instuctions, policy documents and application form for applying for a vehicle licence.
How do I transfer my vehicle?
If you sell or transfer your vehicle you must inform us in writing within 14 days, stating the name and address of the person you have sold the vehicle to. You are advised to ensure that the plate is changed to the new owner.
The new owner bring the documents below to:
Citizen Service Point at 100 Temple Street, Bristol BS1 6AG or
Post to Licensing Team (100TS), Bristol city Council, PO Box 3176. Bristol BS3 9FS
bring the following:
- Vehicle log book
- Application form completed by existing proprietor
- Application form completed by proposed proprietor
- Original certificate of insurance
- Fee (please note these change each April)
What do I need to do if I have an accident in my vehicle?
You are required to inform us in writing by close of business on the following working day of the accident.
What do I need to do if I lose my plates?
Your plates should be securely fixed to the exterior of the vehicle at all times. However should you lose your plates duplicates are available from the licensing office on written request. Fees apply (please note these change each April).
Use of Bus Lanes
The Licensing Team produce a list of all current licensed vehicles in Bristol. This list is given to Parking Services, and means where taxis are permitted to use Bus Lanes, these vehicles will not receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).
Please note this list contains only the vehicles licensed by Bristol City Council.
If your vehicle is licensed with a different Authority and you receive a PCN in Bristol, you will be required to appeal the Notice with Parking Services directly. You can do so by sending a copy of your paper licence to email@example.com.