Renew your vehicle licence
Please note applications should be submitted at least 10 working days prior to the expiry date of your licence.
The easiest way to renew your vehicle licence is online.
Applications take at least 7 working days to process and returned to you by post.
We can't issue your licence until the vehicle has completed a satisfactory vehicle check and the Licensing Team have been sent a copy of your insurance. You should send your insurance certificate to email@example.com .
We can't accept the vehicle inspection check if it was completed more than 6 weeks before your licence expires.
If you're applying after your licence has expired we can’t accept the vehicle inspection check if it was completed more than 6 weeks before the date you submit your application.
We are not required to send renewal reminders. We accept no responsibility for delays in renewals caused by the late submission of applications.
Other ways to renew
You'll need to renew your vehicle licence using a paper form if:
- your licence has expired
- the vehicle registration number has changed (personalised plate)
- the registered keeper details have changed
- the licence holder name or address has changed
- you don't have an email address
- the vehicle didn't pass the inspection check
- the vehicle isn't insured
- you no longer own the vehicle
You’ll also need:
- your insurance certificate
- payment of £187
Post the completed the form to:
Licensing team (Temple Street)
Bristol City Council
PO Box 3176
Bristol BS3 9FS