Licensing - Vehicle Renewals
Renew your vehicle licence and plate
Renew your private hire or Hackney carriage vehicle licence online, without having to visit 100 Temple Street.
You must be the owner and the vehicle must have passed its inspection and be insured.
Before you start
- your renewal reference number (this can be found in your renewal notification and on your paper licence)
- your taxi or private hire vehicle registration number
- a valid email address
- a credit or debit card to pay
We need to see a scan or photo of your:
- insurance certificate
- vehicle inspection certificate (blue pass-out sheet)
- logbook (V5) (only if your details have changed)
- meter certificate (only if your meter has been recalibrated in the last year)
It is easiest to upload the documents in the form, but you can email them to us afterwards.
- Vehicles under eight years old - one year for £187
- Vehicles over eight years old - six months for £93.50
How long it takes
The online form should take you no longer than 20 minutes to complete.
It takes at least seven working days for the licensing team to process your application and send your new licence and plate to you, so make sure you allow enough time for this before your current licence expires.
It’s quicker if you upload evidence in the form instead of emailing it afterwards.
Who can apply?
We can only issue you with a new licence if:
- you're the owner of the vehicle
- the vehicle has passed it's Bristol City Council inspection
- the vehicle is insured
If your vehicle is over ten years old then we may not be able to issue you with a new licence.