Apply for a new vehicle licence
If you want to apply for a new private hire vehicle or hackney carriage you must follow the steps below.
1: Check if a licence is available: hackney carriage only
You should contact the Licensing Team before purchasing a vehicle to ensure there are still hackney carriage vehicle licences available.
This is because the Public Safety and Protection Committee agreed on 28 February 2017 to impose a limit of 795 on the number of licences issued.
2: The vehicle: hackney carriage only
If applying for a licence for a hackney carriage the vehicle must:
- be an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV)
- have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA)
- be wheelchair accessible
The vehicle must also meet all other elements of the hackney carriage vehicle policy (pdf, 163k) (opens new window) .(opens new window) (pdf, 157k) (opens new window)
3: The conditions and standards
You should read the documents below before you apply for a new vehicle licence.
The hackney carriage and private hire inspection standards include important information on vehicle specifications and should be read along with the correct vehicle policy.
- Hackney carriage vehicle policy (pdf, 163k) (opens new window)
- Private hire vehicle policy (pdf, 89k) (opens new window)
- Vehicle licence conditions (pdf, 305k) (opens new window)
- Policy statement about tuk tuks (pdf, 76k) (opens new window)
- Hackney carriage and private hire - inspection standards (pdf, 514k) (opens new window)
- Hackney carriage and private hire - nuisance on highway policy (pdf, 14k) (opens new window)
4: Your documents
You must bring the documentation below to:
Citizen Service Point at 100 Temple Street, Bristol BS1 6AG
or you can post them to:
Licensing Team (100TS), Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176. Bristol BS3 9FS
- Original certificate of insurance
- Certificate of compliance issued by Bristol City Council contract services
- The correct fee ( fees may change every April)
- Vehicle log book
- Application form (pdf, 282k) (opens new window)
- Proof of ownership: a bill of sale, invoice stating paid in full, or copy of hire purchase or lease agreement (If the vehicle is on lease then the lease company must provide a letter stating the vehicle can be used as a hackney carriage/private hire vehicle)
- European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval certificate and certificate of conformity (if applicable).
- Full Registration Document (V5) or green slip
We can't accept a vehicle inspection check if it was carried out more than six weeks before your application date.
How much it costs
A new private hire or Hackney Carriage licence costs £187.
We can't accept the vehicle inspection check if you send it to us more than six weeks before your application date.